Do you have Type 2 Diabetes? Do you want to be healthier?
Wisdom, Power, Control is a 7-week diabetes self-management program for African American adults with type 2 diabetes and over the age of 18. The aim of this research-based program is to educate, empower and equip participants to better control their diabetes using a real-world practical approach. Classes are offered weekly for two hours in community settings such as churches and clinics. Family members are encouraged to attend. Wisdom, Power, Control is taught by trained class leaders.
You will learn:
- to develop diabetes self-care skills,
- to improve eating habits and maintain good nutrition,
- to increase physical activity,
- to prevent diabetes complications, and
- to improve your quality of life living with type 2 diabetes.
Topics for Wisdom, Power, Control include:
- Week 1: What is diabetes?
- Week 2: Checking your blood glucose levels
- Week 3: Eat healthy with diabetes
- Week 4: Be active with diabetes
- Week 5: Medicines and diabetes
- Week 6: Preventing diabetes problems